Sunday, February 23, 2014

R.I.P., Maria von Trapp




Maria, 99, was the last surviving member of the Trapp Family Singers, those folks so grossly fictionalized in The Sound of Muzak (1965).  They were art singers to be reckoned with--in this Youtube entry, they sing the gorgeous Bach choral, How Fair and Bright the Morning Star (an "extra music" staple of this church musician): Trapp Family, Bach

Forgot all about Richard Rodger's pappy score, didn't you?

In the movie, Maria's character was renamed Louisa, probably so she wouldn't be confused with her stepmother of the same given name (the person played by Julie Andrews).  Maybe Louisa was a carryover from the play--dunno.  Speaking of the 1965 movie, my foster parents saw it in the theater, but only for a few scenes.  Then they walked out.  Yes, they were that impressed.

Rest in peace, Maria.


Lee




2 comments:

der bajazzo said...

First time in my long life I've ever seen any music by Richard Rodgers dissed by someone whom I would have thought was musically knowledgeable.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Maybe I've heard "Climb Every Mountain" too many times....